WHAT IS A VACATION CLUB?
A vacation club provides or purports to provide its members with vacations, vacation plans, or services connected with the scheduling of vacations at discount prices. Unfortunately, the membership fee is often high and you may find that there are no real savings. By comparing prices and travel plans with your local travel agent, you can make an informed decision on whether or not a vacation club would be beneficial to you.
As in any business, a buying club or vacation club owner operates to make a profit. To do so, some club owners use the membership fees and advance merchandise order payments to keep their businesses afloat - a dangerous situation for members. There is also the possibility that the club may go out of business after you join. Some clubs have shut down and left their members with little hope of recouping their losses.
BEFORE YOU JOIN
Before you decide to join a buying club or a vacation club:
* Make a list of what you want to buy and compare local retailers' prices with prices the buying club is offering;
* Check to see if freight or other service charges are added to the purchase price;
* DO NOT join a buying club that will not show price lists or a catalog until after you have joined;
* Make sure that the buying club has a showroom of merchandise and be certain that you tour the showroom;
* Compare prices of vacations with your local travel agent;
* Are there hidden costs involved with the vacations? Are there limited times you may travel?
* DO NOT succumb to high-pressure sales techniques;
* Check out the club's report with your local BBB.
CANCELING YOUR MEMBERSHIP
Make certain that you understand the cancellation policy if you join a buying club or a vacation club. The contract will state what the cancellation policy is. These contracts are generally very binding.
We offer free reviews on businesses that include background, licensing, consumer experience and other information such as governmental actions that is known to BBB. These reviews are provided for businesses that are BBB accredited and also for businesses that are not BBB accredited.
As a matter of policy, BBB does not endorse any product, service or business.
BBB Business Reviews are provided solely to assist you in exercising your own best judgment. Information in this BBB Business Review is believed reliable but not guaranteed as to accuracy.
BBB Business Reviews generally cover a three-year reporting period. BBB Business Reviews are subject to change at any time.